The library, although established in 1897, did not have a professional librarian (someone with a formal library degree) managing it until 1958. Before this date, a faculty member at Dentistry would be appointed to oversee library operations, budget and staffing. We have included here brief biographies of each person who oversaw the library and how they contributed to the collection or services. In the 1950s it was evident that a professional was essential to overtake this role, as the library grew significantly in size and in collection items. This would also provide continuity of services, collection management, and decision making. The library reported to the Faculty of Dentistry administration until 2005, afterwhich we joined the University of Toronto Libraries' Central System.