Establishment of the SPS
The School of Practical Science was officially established in 1873, after the Ontario Government passed an act to begin the creation of a professional school dedicated to Engineering Education. At first, classes were held in a building at Church and Adelaide Street, and were primarily offered in the evening.
The year 1878 is considered the school's founding date. It was in this year that the school's first building completed construction, known, like the program it housed, as the School of Practical Science. The building had offices, laboratory spaces, a library and reading room, and even a museum.