In 1901, two hundred current students approached the Ontario Legislature at Queen's Park to request that funding be made available for the construction of additional student space. They argued that the school taught skills that were essential to the completion of infrastructure projects across Ontario. About a week later, a group of alumni repeated this argument. Hearing these concerns, the provincial government agreed to provide the required support. Construction of the Chemistry and Mining Building began in 1902 and the building opened in 1904.