The Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering created the first research wind tunnel in Canada in 1918. Originally housed inside the Thermodynamics Building, a lack of space made a move necessary. In 1923, the University received a $5000 grant to build a dedicated space for the wind tunnel in front of the building. The new tunnel was completed in 1924 and was the only space of its kind in Canada. It was used for important aeronautical research, including testing models of airplanes.